Friday, October 26, 2007

Another Day

...with thanks to Nick at Satan's Laundromat

Am I still supposed to look forward to my birthday?

I have yet another one coming up in three days, and I'm just not up for too much fuss. That is, if there is any fuss at all. If there isn't, I'll probably be an interesting combination of peeved and relieved at the same time.

Actually, I know there will be an assortment of the standard events, because I've made the reservations for a couple of them myself.

I know that Tim has something up his sleeve this evening, and tomorrow evening Tim and M. and I will visit one of my very favorite establishments, throw down some serious bucks and drink and eat ourselves into a semi-catatonic state. A visit to an Upper East Side Older Gentlemen's Drinking Establishment may or may not follow. Sunday will be spent recovering and/or at the gym and a bit later at the (sigh) Dugout. Monday, the day itself, I will be working on a bid for miscellaneous furniture to be installed at New York's largest and currently most dangerous construction site. There may be a lunch involved, and possibly birthday cake. I think I'll hide in the evening, to recover from this surfeit of birthday gaiety.

Once again, I've prepared myself by telling anyone who asked during the past several months that I was 53, when in fact, I was enjoying my 52nd year. It's a simple way to prepare myself for the inevitable. And of course, one hopes to garner compliments along the lines of: "Gee, you don't look so bad for 53!". It rarely works.

If you see me out and about, know that I'll be accepting all manner of birthday wishes, various hugs, multitudes of kisses from them that wants to offer 'em, and commiseration from those who join me in my advanced age.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Chicago JP said...

Mark,

Happy early birthday, buddy...Vitale and I will raise a glass in your honor this weekend. I pray I look as good as you when I'm 43, let alone 53. ;-)

Have a great one!

xo
JP

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Happy Birthday, Mark!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous rangergeek said...

"You don't look too bad for 53." Actually, you look droolingly handsome, period.

Hey, I don't celebrate my birthday anymore either, especially since my mom died the day before a few years back. If you don't mind me being a little preachy, and if the old distractions no longer work, try doing something for others that day. Make it a celebration of your life by giving of yourself.

1:19 PM  
Blogger ted said...

Yeah, you look fucking awesome for any age.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buttercream frosting with no calories but all the best!

-FreddyinP'town

4:46 PM  
Blogger Let's Kill Saturday Night said...

Happy birthday when it comes.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Ice John's World said...

Still, happy birthday, supper daddy Mark!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Charles said...

Happy Birthday!

...and, DAMN, you are one hot man!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Happy Birthday, Mark!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hope you had a great Birthday Today!

4:14 PM  
Blogger David said...

Gah! How did I miss this? Hope your birthday went by in a fashion that pleased you. Best wishes.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Homer said...

I hope you got lots of bday kisses.

1:12 PM  
Blogger seymour said...

Huge hugs and bigeest kisses sexy Man. etnrrhui

2:40 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Happy Birthday. I'm only 4 months behind you. But I'm with you on birthday celebrations, though for me, I'm just not in favor of the fuss anymore. Though it's still a good excuse to try and take the day off. Just to recover from the shock of it all.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home