Friday, September 14, 2007

Spell Check

If you are one of the many people who has been steered to this site looking for information on that new documentary about Russian prison tattoos, please note: it's The Mark of Cain.

Biblically, Cain was a son of Adam and Eve. Cain appears to have been a rather lackadaisical farmer, while his brother Abel was quite the cattleman.

Apparently, the good Lord accepted Abel's sacrifice of prime meat, while spurning Cain's offering of so-so grains and leafy things.

I understand this every time I dine at Peter Luger.

It seems that this put Cain crazy, as we used to say down south. He killed his brother, and then lied about it. When asked about Abel's whereabouts, he said: "Am I my brother's keeper?". This caused the Lord to get mightily pissed at him.

He forced Cain to wander the earth, and marked him with a sign, as a warning to others that Cain was not to be meddled or interfered with, but left to suffer in his endless punishment.

The Bible makes no mention of what form this mark took.

You can all see the name of this blog up there in the left corner. Can you guess what my name is? I don't have a brother and I have very few outwardly discernible markings. I am partially of Russian descent, but I am not inked. The name Kane is derived from Gaelic, and seems to mean Little Battle, which seems to suit me just fine. How my family came to that name is another story for another time. When you combine it with my given name, which means war-like, it seems I must be quite a handful.

If you stick around, you'll be party to sporadic tales of long forgotten days (and nights), travels to our gay capitals, some whining about my impending dotage and the occasional rant.

But that's probably not why you came here, is it?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Stash said...

You have quite a number of decades left to you, young grasshopper.

My palantir sez so.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous rangergeek said...

Um, yes, it is precisely why I came around here.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Bring it on!

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Farmboy C said...

As a kid it was a confusing bible story, and as I grew older, I thought it actualy was an "origin of our queer species" explanation (making your blog name a wry triple pun): Hunter-gatherers and hurdsmen are macho; vegetarian farmers are marked as sissies. (Although, later in the bible, this is directly contradicted in Daniel, when the Hebrew servents eat only vegetables and water for ten days, but end up looking better than the king's meat-eating men.) Here are some other possible conclusions:

Healthy nutritional advice- Meat should always be well cooked, but vegetables should be eaten raw.

Never burn your sacrifices to God on a windy day.

11:40 AM  
Blogger David said...

It's why I came.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hehe. Great post!

Looks like you may be blogging again!

As for Peter Luger... Where did I just see a review?? Was it yesterday's NY Times?

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Arkano18 ::: J. said...

The Mark of Kane... after the Bible, first time I realized about The Mark was when i had 7 yrs old and I was reading Herman Hesse's "Demian".

Since then, I've always thought that I'm one of them :D

Nice blog, thanks for sharing.

See ya!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home