Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Fitty Two

Spoiler Alert: Whining Ahead!!

It's eleven days to my 52nd birthday, and let me tell you...I have that familiar gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach.

MySpace has already taken to posting my age as 52 in my profile; an event that has left me surprisingly less than happy. I mean, it's alright if I pre-date myself. I've done that for the past six months, telling anyone who asked that I am 52. It helps me prepare for the actuality of it. But to have an internet juggernaut do it for you, well....feh.

I'm just not feeling it this year. Wait, I'm going to consult my blog archives and see how I felt last year. Okay, I'm back! In 2005, I didn't even blog about the birthday itself, but I can see that we went to Keen's (a huge surprise, right?) and clearly, I was equally as non-celebratory as I am this year. In fact, I posted a blog entry entitled Pink Moon, after the Nick Drake song of the same name. Definitely not a good sign.

Surprisingly, I'm really not any more downbeat than usual, all things considered. It's been a tough month, so far. Our friend Richard passed away on October 1st, and then I found out that my dear friend Arthur had died in San Francisco on the same day. Both had been sick for some time, but each man made an accelerated exit. Tim had known Richard for the better part of a decade, and Arthur's been my friend since Hector was a pup. I've blogged about Arthur in the past here and here. Both represented a tie with the past that has now been almost completely severed. It looks like I'm it. Swell.

I have managed to keep my head above it all by keeping very busy at work, and then writing at night. I enjoy the exercise this blog has afforded me, and I'm seeing if I can actually parlay my scribbles into something a bit more tangible.

So...don't cry for me...I will no doubt go out on the eve of my, um, big day and have a nice dinner, receive some of nifty gifts and get drunk. My actual birthday's on Sunday. If you know me, you'll know where to find me. How grim can that be? We'll see!

Lastly, a style tip for those entering their 52nd year:

Never, ever let anyone point a digital camera equipped with flash within a foot of your face after you've spent an afternoon slamming beer with the boys in Brooklyn, then returning to Manhattan and making an ill-advised switch to bourbon. The results are unsettling, to say the least. You won't see them here.

17 Comments:

Blogger Oberon said...

.......yeah....me too....fitty two.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Nate The Great said...

Honestly, I think the results of photography of any kinda after heaviny drinking thend to be unsettling, at any age, I know there are a fair amount of disturbing pictures of me out there...

4:40 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I can't wait to raise a glass or 20 to you!

I also pledge to take as many pics with you and Tim until there's one where we all look as dashing as we are in real life.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Joe.My.God. said...

Oh there are some doozies of me floating around out there too!

I will miss your birthday! We'll have to celebrate over a shot or 12 on THIS Sunday.

12:44 PM  
Blogger David said...

Wait, Joe's comment has me confused. Is your birthday this Sunday or next Sunday? I can definitely be there for a toast this Sunday, not so sure next Sunday.

3:06 PM  
Blogger MEK the Bear said...

Speaking as a 'pup' who's dating a 56 year old and potentially a 54 year old, let me be the first to say that men in their 50's are unequivicobally the BEST lovers, I'm just saying!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh wow, we have the same birthday, except I'm turning 46. Yours is the 29th, right?

2:32 AM  
Blogger Homer said...

Oh gosh, I only hope to be as hot when I'm 52.

1:40 PM  
Blogger seymour said...

Pics can lie. You are a seriously hot man with a huge heart. I'll be there by the jukebox in spirit special guy. Have an amazing year - just keep being you.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Norskybear said...

Hope you had a great birthday!

Figures that my verification word (srdadcst) would have "dad" in it; although, it also contained "sr"...

12:29 PM  
Anonymous AntigoneHaze said...

hey Mark,

thanks for sharing all of your thoughtful, articulate ruminations and stories. great, insightful stuff.

I've often seen you at the Dugout, but was always a bit too intimidated to say "what's up?" I won't be next time.

till then!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

4:54 PM  
Blogger southbeachbum said...

Just read this post yesterday at work, so I guess your birthday has come and gone, but Happy Birthday anyway. I just wanted to let you know that you are one of the people who helps keep me sane, so please keep posting, even if infrequently. All the best.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Stash said...

Fifty is the new thirty. :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

It's been a month. Where have you gone? We miss you.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Mr. H.K. said...

I love trolls... they have those tight little naked fannies and all that hair!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Rhea said...

Yes, right. 50 is the new 30 -- from one 'baby boomer' to another!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home