Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I'm Back In Town

But not for long!

Okay. I know. I've been remiss. Call it blogger's block. Call it boredom. Get fancy and call it ennui or mere malaise. All I know is that I couldn't get it together enough to string a few simple sentences together.

Lord knows, I tried. I put together a post about Folsom Street East, only to discover that it was pretty a complete redaction of last year's post, only with a different set of friends. At the time, I couldn't even find a way to frame the highlight of that Sunday, which happened to be concurrent with Father's Day. So allow me this totally gratuitous posting now:


Yes, one of my dearest friends, and his accomplice gathered wishes and signatures from other buddies on this lovely card through the course of the long drunken day and presented it to me later on. It really touched a cynical old fuck like me.

End of gratuitous Folsom Street East remembrance.

I tried writing a piece on Scritti Politti. I tried writing it three times. Blogger does not seem to like me at times. It wouldn't allow me to upload photographs. It wouldn't let me edit. It kept deleted the post. I grew tired of the subject. Quick synopsis: I was on the train at 7:00 AM reading the New York Times and spied a picture of what looked like a haggard Irish man on the morning after a bender. Perusing the article, I gasped when I learned it was Green Gartside, who has just released a new collection of songs. The piece I tried to write was a meditation on time and age, and was to be called Flesh & Blood, after my favorite song from the Cupid & Pysche '85 album. There were some vague Dorian Gray comparisons. It was turning into one of those sad recollections of friends who died. I worried that no one would know or even care much about Scritti Politti, or what I was doing in 1984-1985.

Knock-Knock.

Who's there?

Writer's Block.

End of joke.

So, I'm leaving town. Just for a vacation. Yup, we're heading back up the cape to Provincetown for a week of relaxation, or something like that. I need to recharge my batteries, bad. I need some new adventures, and I'm really, really, really up for whatever comes my way. I need some quiet time to get back in touch with Tim. And some really wild times to do the same.

It looks like the weather will be great up there, after this week seemingly spent in the mouth of Hell. I'm gonna sit in the pool at the Boatslip every afternoon and chill. I'm going to eat lots of great dinners. I'm gonna have way to much fun at Spiritus.

I will return with stories to tell.

Thanks for sticking by me.




8 Comments:

Anonymous stephen in montreal said...

your writing is worth the wait, superdaddy :) and your ruminations on flesh & blood sound quite interesting; i'd like to hear 'em. cupid & psyche remains one of my fave albums of all time. scritti's latest, while uneven, has a few gems...and then there's that voice....pure heaven. btw, scritti has just been nominated for a big award in the UK: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1825491,00.html
have a great time in p-town :)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Daniel, the Guy in the Desert said...

I love it when somebody like Gartside or Dylan or Pynchon digs down deep and comes up with something real. It seems like the further you go the harder it is to come up with something real. So I love it when somebody does it. It means I've got a shot.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Have a bay-breeze at the Boatslip for me ;) Cheers!

9:39 AM  
Blogger David said...

Have a blast!

11:30 AM  
Blogger palochi said...

A blog post about Scritti Politti? This is one of the reasons why I love you so much.

Boatslip? Spiritus? You just brought back so many memories to me. I need to get back to P-Town one of these decades. A million years ago, it used to be such a nexus of "things to come" in my life. And I'll have to tell you my P-Town fortune teller stories sometime. I could really use adventures like those again, as you obviously need as well.

Here's to you and Tim getting back in touch. Or touching each other a lot. Or a combination thereof. Or something like that. :-)

Have a good trip, S-Daddy.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Homer said...

We used to dance to "I've got a perfect way" in our living room in Ann Arbor. I haven't thought about them for a while.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Foxy said...

I cannot help but wonder how many times you heard Beyonce's "One Night Only". I heard it, on average, twice a day while in Ptown last week.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Mr. H.K. said...

Have a great trip!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home