Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Chapter One. I Am Born.

A Friday night, early last Spring.

Tim and I have the urge to shake up our routine. No jazz and cocktails tonight. The weather's warming up and so is Tim. He wants to be out and about! I'm all for that.

I'm kind of vague on the details. I'm sure he came by my house, consumed a drink or two, unwound some and grabbed dinner somewhere. It's fairly late when we pull up at the Eagle, thinking we'll see the sights and have some fun.

Imagine our surprise to discover that New York's hottest bar is almost completely empty. The first floor is closed. The second floor is deserted. The roof...well, maybe there's a dozen or so highly dispirited gentlemen eying each other warily. Puzzling, to say the least. We drink our beers, look around, and beat a hasty retreat.

The following day I call my good pal Eric, who keeps tabs on all things social. He tells me that everyone goes to something called Snaxx every other Friday. And by the way, nobody goes to the Eagle on Friday nights anymore, just the tourists. Oh.

Some time later I Googled Snaxx. Now, if you Google Snaxx, you don't actually find a Snaxx website. What was first listed then, and still is, was a certain blogger's post relating who he saw at the past Friday's event. Sort of like that Romper Room thing where one looks through the magic mirror and says: "I see Willy and Mike and Crystal and"...well, you get the picture. I wasn't so much attracted to what seemed like a really serious attempt at social exclusion. I could smell it a mile away. We're neither hip enough nor interested in being a part of the PLU (People Like Us) crowd.

However, I was intrigued by the weblog format. Some had comment sections and blog rolls. I liked the immediacy of the form, as well as the interactive aspects. So I surfed around. I spent the better part of a day at work reading, fascinated by the multifaceted views of thoughts and events that transpired daily. There seemed to be an entire community of sorts out there in the ether.

After reading quite a bit, I was able to identify vague groupings of these bloggers. Amazingly enough, local bloggers had just met up a West Side bar called Barrage for what looked like a great time!

A blog that appeared on the blog rolls of so many of blogs I was reading was Joe.My.God. I visited his blog, only to recognize him as one of the many people who used to hang out at the Dugout on Sundays a few years back when it was the place to be. So, I read. And read. And read. And read.

And then I posted.

It's been a time, baby! One year!! I'm really happy to have made the friends and aquaintances I have this past year, and to have the opportunity to deepen those already established.

I'm still kind of ambivalent about this, and a bit bewildered as to where this all might end up, but I'm here, dammit!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Mike P. said...

Well... wada ya know!
Happy anniversary Mark!

And to many more... :)

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Aaron said...

Hooray!

That Joe. My. God. is just amazing ... I would like to meet him some day.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous matty said...

Rock on soul sister!!

Err... well, happy anniversary anyway. One of these days we'll make it up to NYC and meet all you mysterious 'bloggers'.

6:38 AM  
Blogger David said...

Happy Blogiversary! I hope to make an appearance at the Dugout this Sunday after my Mother's Day duties, and I'll toast you properly then.

11:34 AM  
Blogger palochi said...

And it's been all downhill from there. :-)

Happy Blogday!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. I saw you out at the Dugout on Sunday but was a big chicken and did not introduce myself. I will next time.

John in D.C.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous joejervis said...

Happy Blogiversary from your Blogdaddy! Woohoo!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well hell, I wonder why that posted my full name?

5:56 PM  
Blogger Nate The Great said...

You, Joe and a couple other bloggers are what got me started. I'm not sure how determine who's my blog daddy without a paternity test... anyway keep writin and I'll keep readin' happy bloggiversary!

2:55 PM  
Blogger MEK the Bear said...

Happy Blogaversary!! Here's to many more posts from the best lookin' 'daddy' on the net!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous mark said...

Sorry I'm WAY late on your Anniversary.

Happy Belated Blogaversary

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home