Monday, January 02, 2006

What We Did

Hope all of you are well recovered from whatever New Years adventure you indulged in.

Tim and I managed to sandwich an intimate and very quiet New Year's Eve between two nights of running around. Tim's been off for the past 10 days and wanted to get out. So I met up with him on Friday night. We had a few drinks at Ty's and grabbed some dinner, but I was tired from the condensed week and possibly the flu shot I had that morning. So we hung out for a while and went home, but not before stopping at Marie's Crisis to discuss the historical authenticity of the etched mirrors over the bar with Jeffrey, and then on to a sad nightcap at Julius'. For old time's sake. Not mine. Tim's.

We slept in and started out quietly on Saturday. We picked up some oysters, and stopped by Myers of Keswick for some tea (PG Tips, if you please). Tim and I walked through the mostly deserted Village streets, laughing at the dessicated Christmas trees that suddenly appeared everywhere, batting away the monstrous snowflakes that were beginning to fall. We got back to Tim's, kicked off our shoes and relaxed. We started watching Season One of the Rocky & Bullwinkle show (I'd given Tim all three available seasons as a stocking stuffer) and we had a pot of strong tea. Needless to say, I started making nap-like noises almost immediately. Tim nudged me awake and poured more tea. We made it through about 12 episodes, and decided we'd had enough Moose and Squirrel for one sitting.

We enjoyed a spread of excellent cheeses (Humboldt Fog, Neal's Yard Stilton), pate and rillettes left over from Christmas and enjoyed a couple of cocktails. Then Tim fixed the oysters in a light cream sauce over biscuits. We had some of our homemade cookies and a small glass of cognac for dessert. Later, we watched Gypsy (Rosalind Russell & Natalie Wood), like the big middle-aged fags that we are. The clock struck 12 exactly as the three strippers came out to sing "You Gotta Have A Gimmick". All in all, an auspicious omen for the new year. We shared a bottle of champagne, finished the movie and went to bed.

Sunday, we headed back into Manhattan, Tim to the Dugout and I back to my house. I was going to hit the gym, but forget it! I'm just not motivated. I need a kick in the butt. I did, however, do 360 push-ups because I was feeling really guilty about not going.

When I got down to the Dugout I was immediately greeted by my good pal Ryan, who is back visiting from his new home town, San Diego. It was so great to see him. And he called his very attractive friend Jason, also from San Diego, who turned up minutes later. We discussed their local watering hole, Pecs. Apparently they have been saddled with an internet jukebox as well, and all they ever hear is Alan Jackson and the like. I instructed them on how to use the search engine and find whatever obscurity they liked. Jason was thrilled to find the band James, and we both enjoyed hearing them. Hopefully they'll take this new technology home with them and end the country music reign they're currently under. Jason spoke about how Depeche Mode was soooo big when he was in high school. I thought about how we didn't share that recollection.

I had the pleasure of some serious bonding with Ed through a better part of the evening, and finally meeting the Farmboyz. And seeing them at work. Those boys could give lessons. After Tim got off work, we kidnapped Ed and the three of us went up to the Eagle. Tim wanted to check out the evening, which turned out to be semi-crowded and fairly low-key. We met up again with said Farmboyz, Ryan and the very lovely Jason, and ran into Gregg and Greg and Mike. I'm sure we said hello to lots of other people, but by that time, I'd consumed many beers and it gets a little fuzzy. I do remember some really nice good night kisses and hugs and a few random squeezes. Who said being over 50 was fatal?

So I'm back to work today, and it's a new year. My computer crashed last Friday and it took all day to recover everything. However, recover we did.

All things considered, I guess I'm a lucky boy.

7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Sounds marvelous. I am really planning on making it to the Dugout this Sunday. It's 2006 and time for my debut.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Your holiday time sounds utterly relaxing and wonderful. So sorry about your computer but at least you were able to recover stuff.

Happy 2006!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

You now know the fabulous Farmboyz...and my little NYC world grows tighter.

1:39 PM  
Blogger farmboyz said...

You are indeed a very lucky boy, and a very sexy boy, and also a very silly boy for imagining that you met up with us again at the Eagle that night. Although it was our original intent to go there post-Dugoutularly, we went with that cute little Montrealer, Daniel, to his place, and that finished us for the night. It was quite good to meet you, and if I ever get any energy or time, I'll also post a wrap up of that night. We are thinking of doing the Dugout again this sunday night and will pay appropriate homage to the guardian god of the music box.

8:46 PM  
Blogger circleinasquare said...

Since the first time I, uh, stumbled upon you,
the pleasure and privledge of knowing you has only grown. Fun too has been discovering Tim to be as charming and warm as he appears fearsome! xoe

6:54 PM  
Blogger Mr. H.K. said...

Am still recovering... But since the twelfth day of Christmas was yeaterday (I think), the party is officially over...

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Matty said...

New reader here - may I say the writing is very descriptive (thank you) and the pic is very WOOF (and THANKS for that).

Looking forward to visiting again...

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home