Monday, October 24, 2005

Wrong

So I guess I was wrong.

The kids in my neighborhood are apparently snatching up the violently striped and vigorously appliqued faux rugby gear that Mr. Lauren is selling on the site of an old antique store at University and 12th Streets. I've witnessed this inexplicable fashion parade on the subway, and trying to maneuver my way through the Union Square area. The other Rugby stores are in Boston, Chapel Hill and Charlottesville. I seem to have forgotten that I too live on a college campus. I dunno, when I was in school, either kids had a lot less money to burn, or we were just a hell of a lot more creative, not swallowing some designer's retro-revisionist viewpoint whole hog.

Speaking of Union Square, is it safe to say that one senses the possibilities of imminent spontaneous combustion on any given weekend? Tim and I generally have to leave 14th Street around University Place to avoid the plague of youthful shopping zombies.

My final straw was turning on my TV only to see a bunch of most attractive young models jumping around in all sorts of stars-and-stripes bedecked Tommy Hilfiger outfits to the tune of Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers". It's way too late to start complaining about the mass marketing of the cultural touchstones of my youth. Surely, I'm not the only one who has cringed upon hearing The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" or the Kinks "Picture Book" used to sell cars and computer peripherals. I understand the need to target audiences and the how to utilize the nostalgia for one's youth in the name of commerce. But come on....50 year olds are not buying Tommy Hilfiger, and their children clearly aren't all that interested in revolution.

Maybe they just like the guitar chords.

I wonder what sort of advertising will be geared to these kids in 30 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. H.K. said...

Ahhhh. Remember the Rugby shirt?? When was that? The seventies?

I had the red and blue one with the white collar. And I remember it was an article of clothing that I was really excited to get.... And I was NEVER one for clothes...

Still not.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I wore long-sleeved rugby shirts all the time. Which wasn't really smart considering I was a rather stout even back then. All those horizontal stripes!

Union Square is OK in short bursts, as you say. I can no longer visit that Virgin however. It's a madhouse of the saggy-panted set.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home