Monday, July 18, 2005

Hair


For the most part I still have mine.

Sure, it's receding a bit in the front. I have what used to be referred to as a widow's peak, but that peak is getting more lonesome as the years pass by. And I can see that its beginning to thin at the crown. But what the hell. I'm assuming since it's stuck around this long, it will probably continue in some form or another, perhaps just a bit sparser.

Now the color is a whole other can of worms. Up until my 40's I had black hair. With actual blue highlights. None of that common brown for me. And my beard was the same, minus the occasional rogue white hair. About 10 years ago, my beard started turning red. I rather liked that, being partial to redheads. I didn't realize this was the precursor to the loss of pigment; that my black hair was actually oxidizing. Rusting! And within a few years, my hair would turn mostly silver. And my beard would become rather spotty looking. A mean-spirited Irish acquaintance told me my beard was turning like a turkey. Now I know that sounds obscure, but I knew exactly what he meant. Ugly turkey feathers. My beard is now mostly white with some darker areas highlighting.

So....what does a gentleman of a certain age do? I might as well start by saying NO, I'm not shaving it off. That's not a solution at all! I grew this beard in September of 1975. It used to give me no end of joy to tell young men I met that my beard was older than they were. It's a good full beard. It's very much part of who I am, even if these days I'm getting the occasional comparison to Harvey Fierstein in Fiddler on the Roof. I'm very fond of it, but I'm just not used to seeing myself with this coloration. Do I start the Just For Men routine? I'm not about to dye my hair, because I find nothing so disturbing as an old face surrounded by pitch black hair. But the beard is different. Perhaps I should just touch some areas up, forestalling the impending blizzard. My beard grows very fast. I can just imagine having roots on my face. Um, no.

Maybe I should just learn to embrace the inevitable. I just wish I had a mentor or role-model who could guide me through this transition. Most of the time I'm pretty alright about aging. Yes, it is difficult in a youth-obsessed culture, but I seem to be doing okay. I embraced my inner (and outer) Daddyism years ago. It's been a great marketing tool, so to speak. And I've trained myself not to engage considerably younger guys, lest I invoke that gruesome Troll syndrome. That's actually less of a problem than it sounds. They find their way to me, anyway. The so-called Bear community has names for for everything: Otter, Cub, Behr, Wolf etc. Am I really ready for Polar Bear-dom? Hmmmmm.

I guess I'm just going to continue making it up as I go along.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sangroncito said...

You're a silver fox now!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Mr. H.K. said...

Keep making it up as you go along! That's the way!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home